Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Will the Antique Furniture Gods be Mad?



I picked up this antique pine armoire a couple of years ago. For Free!!
It's wonky, the bottom is broken and the doors are badly warped so they don't close properly. We used it in the guest room of our previous home mainly as storage for my pillow problem collection.

In our new house, it won't fit...anywhere. I'm very sad about it:(
I've tried selling it but haven't had any takers.

In a burst of creative thinking, I came up with 3 new projects where it can live on in a different form. There is an open shelving area in our game room that is currently Uh-gly. Wouldn't you know, it's about the same size as one of the doors of the armoire:)





I'll remove the sill and apron and frame out the opening with the fluted pilasters and a portion of the base and capital. It looks awesome in my mind. We'll see how it goes!

With the raised panel armoire sides and moulding, we can make two shallow jewelry cabinets. One for me and another for our daughter.

All 3 will be beautiful, and useful for us. BUT...is it a crime against antique furniture to cut this thing up?
Am I acting like an obsessed girlfriend who won't let anyone have it if I can't!!?

I think I'm going to go for it. It looks so sad in our garage. I'll post pics when it's metamorphosis is complete!

If you would like help creating a home you will absolutely love, contact me about design services.

Keep up with Simply Love Design on Pinterest and Instagram!

1 comment: